Make sure you have a valid travel signature from ISSS prior to returning to the U.S. after international travel!

  • The travel signature (pg 2 of your I-20) is required for returning to the U.S. It is not required for leaving the U.S.
  • Each signature is valid for one year. (F-1 students on OPT: the travel signature is valid for six months).
  • A travel signature is issued by ISSS to confirm you are maintaining your F-1 or J-1 student status.
  • If your current travel signature will expire before you will return to the U.S., you must request an updated travel signature.

Excerpt from the May 13 DOS Update:

Students with valid F-1 and M-1 visas intending to begin or continue an academic program, including optional practical training (OPT), starting August 1, 2021 or later do not need to contact an embassy or consulate to travel.  They may enter the United States no earlier than 30 days before the start of their academic program.  Students seeking to apply for new F-1 or M-1 visas should check the status of visa services at the nearest embassy or consulate; those applicants who are found to be otherwise qualified for an F-1 or M-1 visa will automatically be considered for an NIE to travel.

It is our understanding that current students with a valid visa and an Active SEVIS record (which you will have if you maintained full-time registration since spring semester 2020) will be allowed to enter the US up to 30 days prior to the start of the semester on August 30.

If you took a leave of absence and do not have an Active SEVIS record, please contact ISSS@drew.edu to request a new I-20.

Travel Signature - Temporary Online Request
(personal email such as qq, gmail etc)
Surname, First Name
ISSS will only use this information if you have a personal/medical emergency and we need to contact a family member on your behalf.
Please include Country Code +Phone Number for the person listed as your emergency contact
If you have booked a flight to go back to your home country OR not staying on campus during summer or winter breaks
If you need a new visa, it is difficult to predict when consulates will resume visa processing and how long it will take.
You can find your program end date on page one of your I-20. If the end date is before you plan to return to Drew campus, you will need a program extension OR a Change of Level I-20.
Address (US address)
Your electronically signed I-20 with travel signature will be emailed to your Drew email address. We have guidance that both the Department of State and Customs and Border Protection wil accept electronic issuance and signature of form I-20. You will need to PRINT the emailed I20 to present at Customs & Border Patrol. You will not need to have the original I-20 shipped to you in your home country.