Welcome to Drew University! As you begin your new position, it is important that you are aware of the following conditions of employment:
1. I understand that I must complete and pass within the first 30 days of employment the on-line training courses: Sexual Harassment: Staff-to-Staff, Discrimination: Avoiding Discriminatory Practices, FERPA: Confidentiality of Records, and Protecting Children on Campus: Preventing Sexual Abuse.
2. I understand that I will be paid bi-weekly and my check will be directly deposited or mailed to my home address.
3. I understand that upon enrollment, I will, as a condition of employment, be enrolled in the University’s defined contribution retirement plan. Eligibility rules require that I must be scheduled to work at least 1,000 hours per year, reach the age of 21 and have completed two years of service. Two years of qualifying service from another institution of higher education will qualify for immediate enrollment with no service waiting period. Participation is mandatory.
My salary will be reduced by the amount of the contribution required to the retirement plan, currently 1% of eligible compensation up to and including the first $17,500 and 5% over $17,500. Drew University will also contribute an amount to the retirement plan on my behalf at the amount that is specified under the retirement plan, currently 8% of eligible compensation. I will be responsible for allocating the amount of contribution among the approved funding vehicles under the plan. I will be immediately eligible to make elective deferrals to the plan.
4. I understand that if I work full time (35 hours per week, 9 months per year), I am eligible to enroll in the University’s Long Term Disability plan, after completing one year of service.
5. I understand that I am responsible for reading the Employee Handbook located on the HR webpage. I further understand that I am responsible for familiarizing myself with all University policies and procedures as discussed on the University website.
The handbook will be updated as needed. The policies, procedures, benefits, and services described in this manual may be changed, modified, superseded, or terminated, as necessary, at the University’s discretion. Although efforts will be made to provide advance notice of any changes, employees should consult with Human Resources, after reviewing the Employee Handbook to ensure they have the most current and up to date information.
6. I understand that upon the termination of my employment with Drew University, I will be required to return all University property, including but not limited to University ID Card and my University keys. Failure to return University keys will result in a $25.00 fee.
For Staff Only: Items 7-13
7. I understand that the first 90 calendar days of employment are considered to be a probationary period and I may be separated from employment for unsatisfactory performance at any time. I also understand that all Drew University employees, except tenured faculty, are employees at will and that the University may change the conditions of employment at any time.
8. I understand that during the first three (3) months of employment I am not entitled to take any vacation or floating holiday time.
9. Exempt Employee:
I understand that as an Exempt Employee the duties for the position in which I have been employed qualify me for exemption under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and under the State Wage and Hour Laws. Therefore, I will not receive overtime compensation based upon hours worked.
10. Non-Exempt Employee:
I understand that as a Non-Exempt employee I will be required to electronically clock in and out daily online in ADP’s Time and Attendance System and will receive overtime compensation for hours worked over 40 hours per week.
11. I understand that if I work less than full time (35 hours per week, 12 months per year), but at least 910 hours per year) I will accrue pro-rated vacation, sick and floating holiday time based on my scheduled hours.
12. I understand that if I work less than full time (30 hours per week, 9 months per year) I will not be eligible to enroll in the University’s medical, dental, life, long term disability, or vision benefits.
13. I certify that I am not currently classified as a full-time, matriculating student enrolled in any program at Drew University.