Visa Information


Visa Information

Student Visa Application Process

You may need to make an appointment for a visa interview at a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad to get your visa. Visas cannot be obtained within the U.S. For general information, please consult the U.S. Department of State overview of student visa applications.

Visa Status

United States immigration law places responsibility upon the individual student to know and follow all relevant immigration regulations. Failure to comply with these regulations may have very severe consequences for your ability to study, seek employment, or even remain in the United States. In addition to the information below, be sure to review the Department of Homeland Security fact sheet on maintaining visa status.

F-1 or J-1 Visa: Choosing the Best Visa Status

F-1 Status

The F-1 is the most common visa for students studying in the United States. Full-time degree seeking students at Drew are eligible for the F-1 visa. Read more about maintaining F-1 status and learn more at the Department of Homeland Security’s Study in the States website.

J-1 Status

At Drew, the J-1 visa is typically used by students and scholars who are visiting the university as part of an educational exchange program. To be eligible for the J-1 student visa, a substantial amount of your financial support must come from sources other than personal or family funding. This funding may be a Drew merit scholarship, funds from your government or corporate sponsorship. Students who are studying at Drew as non-degree seeking exchange students will be also be on the J-1 visa.

J-1 scholars are generally sponsored by home institutions while on sabbatical or other sponsoring organizations in the home country. Learn more about maintaining your J-1 status, including program requirements and mandatory health insurance.