Military / Veterans

Military / Veterans Information

Military/Veteran GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at:

 Welcome Veterans! Drew University is committed to helping service members, veterans and their family members achieve their educational goals while maximizing use of military financial benefits.  We encourage all veterans, service members and dependents to reach out to our Veterans Affairs Official as soon as they consider attending Drew University, as we can assist with any benefit questions. Our purpose is to work closely with the Veterans Affairs Office to assist students with educational benefit applications and enrollment certifications.

Chapters Covered

  • ACTIVE DUTY MONTGOMERY,  CHAPTER 30 At least two years on active duty and contributed $1,200 to your GI Bill® fund and were honorably discharged.
  • POST 911, CHAPTER 33 At least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or be discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® became effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.
  • SURVIVORS’ AND DEPENDENTS, CHAPTER 35 Survivors’ and dependents are certified for tuition and fees and receive basic monthly rates as established by the VA.
  • VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION, CHAPTER 31 Also known as the VetSuccess program. Assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find and keep suitable jobs. Veterans are certified for tuition and fees.
  • RESERVISTS/NATIONAL GUARD, CHAPTER 1606 You must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Reserves or Guard, and be currently in good standing with your unit.

NOTE: Students Using Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 Educational Benefits Must: 1. Submit a certificate for entitlement to educational assistance to Student Accounts no later than the first day of a course: 2. Submit a written request to Student Accounts each semester to use their educational benefits by completing the Request for Veteran Certification Form: 3. Provide Student Accounts any additional information necessary for the proper certification of enrollment

 Getting Started: Start early, stipends can take several weeks to arrive.

  1. Review the list of approved programs from the WEAMS website to ensure you are enrolling in an eligible program.
  2. Submit a Certificate of Eligibility If you don’t already have it; you can fill out an online application. The Veteran’s Online Application, VONAPP , is an official VA web site that enables service members, veterans and their beneficiaries, and other designated individuals, to apply for benefits.. Approximately 6-8 weeks after you apply for benefits, the VA will send a certificate of eligibility (COE) to you.
  3. Email a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to The certificate details the chapter under which you are covered and what percent of tuition and fees will be paid by the VA. It provides the effective date and the expiration date of educational benefits. We need to have a copy of this certificate in order to answer your questions about eligibility.
  4. Register for classes for the upcoming fall or spring. (Note: dropping credits during the term, may impact your VA benefits).
  5. Each semester you must email a signed Request for Veteran Certification Form as soon as you have registered for classes.

Drew University will not impose penalties (including late fees), registration holds, access to facilities or a requirement for additional loans to be taken out for any student with VA benefits due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the VA.  However, late fees may be assessed for any amount that is the difference between the amount of the student’s own financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.

Veteran’s Benefits

  • For admissions questionscontact the Office of Continuing Education,
  • For verification of enrollmentcontact Registrar,
  • For financial aid informationcontact Nick Capodice, Associate Director of Financial Aid,
  • For tuition/fees information contact Amanda Brogan, Student Financial Services Representative,


Veterans Service Organizations