Where They’re Going: Joseph Obonyo C’22

“The Wall Street Semester helped me discover my passion.”

May 2022 – We’re taking a look at where some of the Drew University College of Liberal Arts Class of 2022 is heading.

Joseph Obonyo C’22

Economics major, data science minor

President of The Fund; president of club soccer; board member of DEBS, member of Phi Beta Kappa (liberal arts and sciences) honor society; tour guide

Where he landed

Obonyo, having graduated a semester early, has started working as a derivatives analyst at Fifth Third Bank in Charlotte, NC.

How he got there

“Steve Firestone, assistant teaching professor of finance and director of the Master of Science in Finance program, connected me with Fifth Third Bank, who gave me advice and context on the organization. That prepared me for my internship interviews with the bank, and my internship led to a full-time offer.”

Impactful immersive experiences

“The Wall Street Semester helped me discover my passion. My data sciences classes, especially those focused on machine learning, challenged me to do my most creative and challenging work.”

Fitting in high-level courses

“Faculty saw that I was capable of doing more than is typically offered to undergrads and allowed me to take a graduate-level data sciences, which turned out to be one of my favorite classes at Drew and helped prepare me for my career.”

more on the class of 2022