The CPT Application Process
You cannot begin working until the work authorization/internship is approved by both ISSS and the Center for Career Development and a new I-20 is created. CPT processing times for the ISSS office is approximately three business days if all documents are submitted and your internship is registered with the Center for Career Development. More information about registering your internship with Center for Career Development: https://drew.edu/internships-career-development/about-us/students/internships/internship-registration/
CPT Workshop Recording from Spring 2023
Zoom Link >
Steps to Apply
Schedule an appointment with ISSS – email@example.com in Tilghman House (or virtual) to discuss CPT requirements and verify if you are eligible for CPT/off campus work authorization.
- Provide an internship offer letter to ISSS on employer letterhead. Your job offer must include: student’s name, supervisor’s name, job title, job description, employment start and end dates and hours per week, paid/unpaid
- Schedule an INTC 200/Internship advising appointment with a Center for Internships and Career Development staff member: https://drew.joinhandshake.com/stu/appointments . You will need to understand the internship process, academic responsibilities and receive approval.
- After receiving internship approval from the Center for Career Development, REGISTER for INTC 200
- Email ISSS@drew.edu to confirm internship approval and INTC 200 registration in Ladder
- ISSS will email the updated I-20 to the student. The I-20 will show CPT work authorization noted on page 2 of the document. Employers will want to see the CPT on your I-20.
Social Security Number
If you do not have a social security number, you will need to apply once you have the CPT approval. You will also need the offer letter from the employer AND a letter from ISSS regarding your off campus work eligibility. Applications are normally processed within 10 business days. Instructions on how to apply for the SSN: Link
If you plan to do more than one internship, you will need to register for a course or internship credit and be approved for CPT each semester: Fall, Spring, Summer. The work authorization must be approved BEFORE you begin employment. The application process is the same as outlined above.