J-1 Academic Training

Academic Training allows J-1 students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience off campus. The work authorization may be part-time or full-time, depending on the student’s academic program.

Download the AT Application Form (PDF)


  • Student must be in valid J-1 status and in good academic standing at the school named on the Form DS-2019.
  • Academic training must be done with a specific employer.
  • The proposed employment must be directly related to student’s major field of study.
  • Written approval must be obtained in advance by the student for the duration and type of academic training.


  • The duration of academic training cannot exceed the length of the academic program.
  • Part-time and full-time academic training are counted the same against the total time allowed.
  • Academic training is normally limited to a maximum of 18 months. (Exceptions apply to students with mandatory internship requirements and for PhD students who are offered post-doctoral training positions).


  • Schedule an appointment (email larthur@drew.edu) or stop by ISS during advising hours. Please bring the following documents to the appointment:
  1. Job offer letter including the following information on employer’s letterhead: job description (goals and objectives), student’s name, employment start and end dates, hours/week, and supervisor’s name.
  2. J-1 Student Academic Training Recommendation Form (completed by academic advisor, dean, or department chair).
  • If all requirements have been met, ISS will issue a letter authorizing academic training for a specific period of time, and if applicable, issue a new DS-2019. The authorization letter and DS-2019 should be presented to the employer.


If a student is eligible for an extension of the academic training, please contact International Student Services at least one month prior to the expiration date of the training authorization.


If you are graduating and plan to travel outside the U.S. before you begin academic training, you must apply for the work authorization before you leave the country. You will not be allowed to re-enter the United States in J-1 status after graduation without the academic training endorsement on the DS-2019. A valid visa stamp and a signature for travel are also required to return to the U.S.