In order to process the document for the J-1 visa application (DS-2019), please provide the info we request below as email attachments to ISSS@drew.edu. Additionally, please fill out the form on this page.
Once you receive the DS-2019, you will be required to pay what is referred to as the SEVIS fee before your interview at the U.S. Consulate. The following link http://j1visa.state.gov/ will take you to the online form which can be completed and paid for through the web. The fee for a J-1 visitor is $180 (there is no fee for the J-2 dependent). This fee must be paid before you visit the U.S. Embassy for your interview for the J-1 visa.
The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program launched an excellent website at http://j1visa.state.gov/ with a lot of helpful information for students and scholars which may be of interest to you. The documents we have requested may be sent via email, fax, or regular mail. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
The DS-2019 will be mailed to you via express mail after you complete and pay for the eShip Global mailing form: eShip Global Mailing Form
Required info as Email Attachment
- Photocopy of biodata page from Passport for scholar (and dependents if accompanying scholar)
- Financial Certification in the amount of $2600/month for living expenses for Exchange Visitor and $350/month for each dependent.
- The financial certification can be in the form of personal funds (a bank statement scanned and sent via email is acceptable; the original will be required at the visa interview), an award letter from a sponsor or an employer (if time spent in the U.S. is for a paid sabbatical) or if sponsored by a family member, an affidavit of support is required with supporting financial documents: Affadavit of Support.
- Proof of medical insurance for the duration of stay in the U.S. for J-1 Scholar and dependents.
- Please visit our website to obtain information on the amount of health insurance coverage you must have during your stay and links to a few health care providers that offer plans that meet the Exchange Visitor Program requirements: Visa Info.