All Drew Action Scholars can choose from any of Drew’s 45+ majors. The first-year curriculum is specifically designed for the Action Scholars program, the second-year consists of convening and immersive experience, coupled with 100 hours of experiential learning each year.
As a Drew Action Scholar, you will also join your peers for retreats, town halls, and pitch events. All immersive experiences and co-curricular requirements count towards the 100 hours of experiential learning.
First-year Action Scholars who live on campus will reside together in Brown Hall with other first-year students. This will allow targeted programming specific to Action Scholars and an environment conducive to group work for your shared classes and team projects. More information about housing can be found on the Residence Life website.
Enroll in classes designed for Drew Action Scholars.
- CE 160 Drew Action Seminar I: Thinking through Problems
- CE 260 Drew Action Seminar II: Exploring Solutions
Lead and participate in a public Town Hall focused on problems and solutions explored in your coursework.
Preparation for the Town Hall will encourage you to research best practices; consult with relevant public and community groups, clients, customers, or other stakeholders; develop an action plan; take action based on that plan; and prepare to present and facilitate a dialogue on your approach.
SECOND-YEAR IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCES AND WORKSHOPS
Second-year Action Scholar students will select a customized and approved immersive experience, which will count towards the required 100 hours of experiential learning. In addition, students will attend the Action Scholars Monthly Convening, which are related and helpful workshops or other hands-on activities only available to Drew Action Scholars.
Some available second-year experiences include:
- Select internships and study abroad experiences
- Community-Based Learning classes
- CE 270: Innovation Action Lab course
- Select an additional approved course of action!
SPECIAL EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
First- and second-year Action Scholar students may participate and get involved with the following immersive experiences:
- Action Scholars and mentors come together for an annual retreat
- Enjoy priority consideration to participate in leadership summits, conferences, and special projects
- Engage with community organizations and local government
- Build prototypes and technology applications
- Pitch and advocate for new ventures and solutions
- Join field trips, networking, and mentoring events
Are you eager to impact your community locally, nationally, or globally?
Apply To Be an Action Scholar
WE CAN'T WAIT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT YOU!
When you apply to be a Drew Action Scholar, be prepared to respond to these three questions on the application:
- Describe your interest in any or all of the Drew Action Scholars focus areas: community, innovation, and global impact. If possible, please connect these interests to your experiences or activities.
- Tell us about a problem, challenge, or opportunity you think needs attention–and why?
- Tell us about a time when you worked with others to accomplish a goal. What was hard? What went well?
COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION
If you are an incoming first-year or transfer student and Drew Action Scholars aligns with your passions and goals, we encourage you to apply to earn a generous scholarship while joining a select group of like-minded fellow students.
It’s easy to apply. After you have submitted your Drew admissions application, you can apply for Action Scholars through your admissions portal.