Edwin David Aponte Receives Honorary Doctorate in Theology

The Drew Theological School Dean is honored by Catholic Theological Union

June 2023 – Drew Theological School Dean Edwin David Aponte was presented with an honorary Doctorate in Theology by Chicago’s Catholic Theological Union (CTU) at their 55th annual commencement ceremony.

Honorary degrees are conferred annually by the CTU faculty and Board of Trustees upon individuals whose contributions to the fields of scholarship and service reflect the values to which CTU is committed.

“Our recipient has distinguished himself by committing service in a variety of areas that have touched and transformed the lives of many,” said CTU Vice President and Academic Dean Ferdinand Okorie. “The award is awarded to persons whose research and teaching bring awareness to the mystery of our loving God.”

Carmen M. Nanko-Fernández, Professor of Hispanic Theology and Ministry and Director of the Hispanic Theology and Ministry Program, introduced Aponte to the graduates.

Throughout his accomplished itinerary, Edwin has embraced a consistent and holistic identity lived out simultaneously across multiple hyphens—as administrator-professor-scholar,” she said. “Edwin complicates and enriches our appreciation of the holy as the work of the people negotiating life, Edwin sets a table where all are welcomed, nurtured, and encouraged to be ready.”

“I bring with me all the communities that nurture me, shape me, sustain me, and continue to hold me accountable,” said Aponte as he addressed the CTU community.

“As you have honored me, I will try to honor all of you that belong to the Catholic Theological Union community in all my future work.”

“In the academy: to be a creative teacher, scholar, administrator, and mentor. In the church and the world: to be a faithful witness and administer of the good news. And in society: to be a courageous advocate for God’s justice, love and peace—to speak up and to act even when it is not easy or comfortable to do so.”

NEWS FROM DREW THEOLOGICAL SCHOOL