Drew University Class of 2024 Outcomes: Melvin Matais C’24

Pursuing a 4+1 Cybersecurity Dual-Degree at NYU

May 2024 – Drew University’s Class of 2024 has graduated, so we’re taking a look at where they’re headed.

Melvin Matais C’24, a computer science and cybersecurity major with a minor in data science, is a member of Drew’s Men’s Fencing team. He is also the treasurer of the Magic the Gathering Club. 

Where he’s headed:
Matais is continuing his higher education journey at New York University’s Tandon School of Engineering, taking advantage of the 4+1 Dual-Degree in Cybersecurity partnership with Drew, He will earn his bachelor degree at Drew and a Master of Science in Cybersecurity at NYU in only five years.

On his time at Drew:
“Honestly, the amazing Drew alumni network was pivotal in my preparation and decision to pursue my Dual-Degree program. Through my alum network, I was able to conduct research for two summers in a row in partnership with the National Science Foundation (NSF), FBI, and NASA. After doing research at other universities, it really gave me perspective on what really makes Drew a special place, the people. I’ve been inspired and supported time and time again by amazing peers/friends and my professors. The passion everyone has, as well as the connections I’ve made, really pushed me to pursue higher education in a field I have so much love for.”