Drew University Student Lands Job with IBM

Erin Frederick C’21, G’22 is getting her master’s in Data Analytics

October 2021 – Drew University student Erin Frederick C’21, G’22 has planted herself in The Forest for a fifth year to earn her Master of Science in Data Analytics in the Caspersen School of Graduate Studies, and it’s paid off in the form of a job with IBM.

Frederick interned with IBM last summer as a senior technical solutions specialist, and used her time there to learn skills, “constantly” network, and build her résumé. She applied for a full-time position as a client engineering data scientist and, with a soon-to-be-completed advanced degree in data analytics added to her résumé, she was a natural for the spot.

In her role, which she’ll begin next summer after graduating from Caspersen, Frederick will help create and deliver unique client experiences by implementing data and artificial intelligence statistical models and applying them to clients’ specific business needs.

“In the data analytics master’s program I’m learning so many different tools and software languages that I’ll be able to apply on a day to day basis at IBM,” she said.

Frederick, a business and computer science double major prior to entering the master’s program, praised her computer science and data analytics professors for their expertise and guidance, and saved special praise for two mentors outside the classroom.

Aside from her studies, Frederick is set to play in her fifth year on the Rangers women’s basketball team, having taken advantage of the additional year of eligibility granted due to COVID-19.

She lists head coach John Olenowski and former director of women’s basketball operations Meg Olenowski as having had the biggest impact on her success at Drew.

“They have always supported and encouraged me both on and off the court and taught me valuable leadership and communication skills that have given me an advantage throughout my playing career, and now in the professional world,” said Frederick, who sits just 14 points shy of reaching the 1,000 career points mark.

“I can’t express enough gratitude to my coaches, teachers, and of course, my parents, who have supported me and given me the tools to succeed and opened up these opportunities for me.”

The Latest at Drew