Where They’re Going: Ido Keren C’22

“It’s not exactly common for an undergraduate to have enough research experience and knowledge to be accepted to a PhD program directly after their bachelor’s.”

May 2022 – We’re taking a look at where some of the Drew University College of Liberal Arts Class of 2022 is heading.

Ido Keren C’22

Biology major, chemistry and neuroscience double minor

Where he’s going

Keren will attend Drexel University’s biology PhD program in fall 2022.

Rare exposure to research builds a unique résumé

“Drew helped me get here in a lot of different ways, but the factor that contributed the greatest towards my acceptance to Drexel was definitely the research experience I was provided at Drew. It’s not exactly common for an undergraduate to have enough research experience and knowledge to be accepted to a PhD program directly after their bachelor’s. I never would have been able to make the impression on my interviewers that I did if I had not worked in the lab with Dr. Christina McKittrick, [associate professor of biology], as a research assistant and fellow.”

The value of hands-on opportunities

“While Drew’s lab courses are great and probably provide more hands-on experience than a lot of similar schools do, the research is what allowed me to get a good grasp on how real biological research is conducted, from the actual manual work involved to the experimental design to the background literature research.”

A supportive environment

“I was both supported when I needed to be and encouraged to learn on my own, enabling me to really understand the concepts behind scientific work, how those concepts can generate testable research questions, and how research can be properly presented. I believe that is what allowed me to show Drexel (and myself) that I am ready to pursue PhD-level work and hopefully contribute meaningful knowledge to the biological sciences and a positive impact on my community.”

more on the class of 2022