Drew Theological School Transfer Melissa McHenry T’24 Sought Inclusivity and Social Justice

“Drew felt like a place I would be able to call home”

November 2022 – Melissa McHenry T’24 transferred from Liberty University to continue her Master of Divinity (MDiv) with a Social Justice Advocacy vocational pathway at Drew Theological School, and hasn’t looked back.

“As a Methodist seminary with clearly articulated values of social justice and inclusivity offering an online pathway, Drew felt like a place I would be able to call home,” she said.

We sat down with McHenry to learn more about her journey to Drew. Read on to learn more.

How has your experience at Drew been so far?
My professors and classmates have been great. I love the diversity in religion, denomination, and theological learnings as well as race, age, gender identity, and location. I’m appreciating how the curriculum helps me answer questions about Christianity that I’ve been asking for decades, and that assignments and class discussions are designed to hold space for me to wrestle with my understandings. I anticipate that I’ll be making lifelong friends here.

How was the transfer process?
The staff at Drew have been really helpful in explaining the process and mapping out credit accumulation.

Plans after graduation?
I also work full time, so after graduation I plan to take a vacation! 

My goal is to be able to more clearly understand what God wants for me by graduation so my plans after graduation can be grounded in that.

NEWS FROM DREW THEOLOGICAL SCHOOL