Asian American/Pacific Islander Heritage Month: A Reflection by Alice Kim T’21

“AAPI heritage month is an important time to remember and honor our heritage and legacies of our people, now left to us to uphold proudly”

May 2024 – Celebrated nationally in May, Asian American/Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month honors Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders who have enriched America’s history and are instrumental in its future success.

Drew University community members are honoring the commemorative month with reflections that celebrate the history, cultural diversity, and challenges of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

Alice Kim T’21, Assistant Teaching Professor of Constructive Theology, Louisville Institute Postdoctoral Fellow

During the month of AAPI heritage, I bear witness to my own heritage that deeply shapes my own identity. Growing up, before I knew I was Asian or even Korean, I knew Christian faith was the legacy that defined my family. My grandmother and my uncle founded a small church in Seoul that grew beyond everyone’s expectations. As an ordained minister, my grandmother traveled around the world as a missionary. AAPI heritage month is an important time to remember and honor our heritage and legacies of our people, now left to us to uphold proudly.

We were created with differences that matter. By embracing our own heritage, we can open our eyes to see the heritages of others. We are interconnected as made in the image of God. As we live into this liberating truth, we might have a chance to leave the world a better place.