Assessment is becoming an ever more essential aspect of higher education and there has been a proliferation of resources available to help educators develop and implement assessment plans. The resources below are a sampling of the organizations, publications, and research that may be useful in your own assessment practice.
Higher Education Assessment Organizations
The organizations listed below host archives of assessment-related resources which are updated regularly. Additionally some offer professional develop opportunities, such as conferences and webinars.
- ACPA Commission for Assessment and Evaluation (CAE)
- Assessment Commons
- Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education (AALHE)
- Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS)
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA)
- NASPA Assessment, Evaluation, and Research Knowledge Community
- Student Affairs Assessment Leaders (SAAL)
Assessment Research Publications
The journals listed below publish research on effective practices and approaches to assessment in higher education.
- Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education
- Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation
- Research & Practice in Assessment
In addition to peer-reviewed research, there are a number of individuals and organizations that regularly blog about assessment.
Online Assessment Guides and Handbooks
In addition to a myriad of printed books and other materials, there is an abundance of digital resources provide thorough overviews of good assessment practice. Below is a selection of the resources available online.