Drew University Staff Member and Student Earn Awards for Dysgraphia Support, Awareness

Dana Giroux was nominated by Cieran Plancer-Murphy C’26 for work addressing the writing disorder

October 2023 – Dana Giroux, Drew University’s Accessibility Resources Director, has been honored with a Graphy Award for Supportive Administrator and Educator.

The award was bestowed by TurnWriteAround.com, a grassroots organization dedicated to spreading awareness for dysgraphia, a neurological disorder impacting the ability to write. 

Giroux was nominated by Drew student Cieran Plancer-Murphy C’26, who was also recognized with an award for Work in the World of Dysgraphia.

“Coming from a difficult high school system that I fought for four years to change for students with dysgraphia, I am very aware when I see a system that functions properly and with human kindness and professionalism,” said Plancer-Murphy. “Dana and Drew should be acknowledged for that fact!”

For Giroux, the award was a recognition of the passion she has for her job and the important role Drew’s Office of Accessibility Resources plays for students.

“Point blank, I love what I do,” said Giroux. “Receiving this award means that I have made a  difference in someone’s life, which is the why behind why I do what I do. It is of the utmost importance to me that I provide a judgment-free environment where students feel comfortable, heard, and accepted.”

The recognition comes during National Disability Awareness Month, which Drew has participated in through a number of programs, events, and awareness efforts spearheaded by Giroux.

“I am always putting effort into thinking outside the box when it comes to supporting students with disabilities and promoting more campus-wide awareness, education, and training opportunities surrounding the topic of accessibility,” said Giroux.

“Our job is to make it easier for students with disabilities to have equal access by reducing barriers, either academic or physical, which gives students an opportunity—just like their peers—to have the best experience at Drew. There is no end to the effort in providing equal access for students with disabilities to academic programs and activities.”