Steph Mazzarella C’02, Associate Dean of Student Services

Every year the month of June brings the celebration of LGBTQ+ Pride. Pride today is about celebration and community, but it’s vital that we remember that indeed the first Pride was a riot, an act of resistance in the face of overwhelming violence and oppression.

For me, Pride is about gratitude and reverence for our queer elders, specifically the trans women of color who fought back during the Stonewall Inn riots in 1969. As a queer person who is married with a family, I can thank all those who fought before me for the privileges I carry today. Pride is also about celebrating identity and visibility. As an out queer Drew alum and current staff member, visibility is extremely important to me. I am passionate about making our campus a safe, welcoming, and inclusive home for all members of our community. It’s an honor to work with and advocate for our LGBTQ+ students on campus. During my time as a Drew student, I was fortunate to have queer role models in the faculty and staff that I looked up to as supportive mentors. Knowing that I can serve in that role for our current students is tremendously important and humbling to me. The pride I take in this lasts far longer than just a month out of the year. Happy Pride!