Metasites: Lists of Links & Web Resources on Women
- Feminist Majority Foundation’s Internet Gateway
- Planned Parenthood
- Gender-Related Electronic Forums
An annotated, frequently updated, award winning listing of publicly accessible electronic forums (also known as “e-mail lists”) related to women or to gender issues.
- Women’s Studies/Women’s Issues Resource Sites
Excellent and comprehensive list maintained by Prof. Joan Korenman, University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- NY Times | Women’s Rights
News about Women’s Rights, including commentary and archival articles published in The New York Times.
- National Women’s Studies Association Home Page
- Women’s Studies/Women’s Issues Resource Sites
Created by Joan Korenman at University of Maryland Baltimore County.
- Gender Inn (University of Cologne)
A very large (6000+) database of resources in feminist criticism and theory indexed with multiple keywords.
- Women’s Studies Resources (University of Iowa)
- Listing of Women’s Studies Programs, Departments and Research Centers
- Core Lists in Women’s Studies
Compiled and maintained by the U. of Wisconsin System Women’s Studies Librarian.
- Women’s Studies Database (University of Northern Arizona)
- Women’s Studies Information Sources at the University of York Library
- Feminist Theory Website
Bibliographies in many areas. Developed by a faculty member at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Feminist Theory
From Women’s Studies Resources, a site developed by Karla Tonella at the University of Iowa.
- Feminist Theory Page from Northern Arizona University’s Women’s Studies Website
- Northern Arizona University List of Feminist Theory Links
- “Defining Chicana Feminisms in their Own Words”
From Making Face, Making Soul: A Chicana Feminist Homepage
- Ecofeminist Theory (Background Bibliography and Sources)
From a site for a Harvard Divinity School Course.
- Excerpts from a chapter of The Postmodern Bible (Yale Univ Press)
On feminist and womanist interpretations of the Bible.
- Womanist Theory and Research
Site created by the Afro-American Studies Dept. at the University of Georgia, includes an on-line journal.
- Association for Feminist Ethics and Social Theory
Dedicated to promoting feminist ethical perspectives on philosophy, moral and political life, and public policy.
Women’s Studies in Specific Fields or Disciplines
- American Women’s History: A Research Guide
- Discovering American Women’s History Online
- Internet Women’s History Sourcebook
- Diotoma: Women and Gender in the Ancient World
- Selections from the National American Women’s Suffrage Association Collection
Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Library of Congress
- ViVa: A Bibliography of Women’s History in Historical and Women’s Studies Journals
- New Jersey Women’s History
- New Jersey Women’s History, Rutgers University
- Mapping Women’s History
Collection of primary sources on American Women’s History featured on an interactive map
- Women | National Archives
National Archives Library Information Center presents a listing of web sites of the contributions of American women
Math and Science
- Women and Science: A Guide to Research
A site created by the Louisiana State University Library which includes bibliographies of reference sources, books, and articles.
- 4000 Years of Women in Science
Biographies, Bibliographies, News, Information, Photos and a Quiz.
- The Women and Math Project (University of Oregon)
Contains biographies, bibliographies, links, conferences, statistics.
- WISE: Archives of Women in Science and Engineering (Iowa State University)
- 500 Women Scientists
Build an inclusive scientific community dedicated to training a more diverse group of future leaders in science and to use the language of science to bridge divides and enhance global diplomacy.
- Association for Women in Science – AWIS
A global network that inspires bold leadership, research, and solutions that advance women in STEM, spark innovation, promote organizational success, and drive systemic change.
- Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM)
- Voices from the Gap (University of Minnesota)
Resources on Women Writers of Color.
- The Northeastern University Women Writers Project
- A text-base of women writers before 1830
- Women Writers Resource Project (Emory University)
A collection of edited and unedited texts by women writing in English from the seventeenth century through the nineteenth century.
- The Victorian Women Writers Project (Indiana University)
A text-base of transcriptions of work in various genres.
- Feminist Studies in Religion
- Women’s Studies in Religion Program – Harvard University
- Feminism and Religion
Exploring the F-word in religion and the intersection between scholarship, activism, and community.
- Feminist Philosophy of Religion
Poses feminist questions about religious texts, traditions, and practices, often with the aim of critiquing, redefining, or reconstructing religion
- Feminism & Art
- Queer Caucus for Art
- WOW Café Theatre
- National Museum of Women in the Arts
- Woman’s Art Journal
Forum for feminist approaches to women artists from various art historical periods to the present. They invite your submissions.
- New York Women in Film and Television
Advocates for equality in the moving image industry and supports women in every stage of their careers.
- Center for the American Woman in Politics (Rutgers)
- Journal of Women, Politics & Policy
- Gender & Society: SAGE Journals
- Women in Politics OECD Data
Includes data on women parliamentarians, women ministers and participation quotas.
- The International Association for Feminist Economics
Further gender-aware and inclusive economic inquiry and policy analysis.
Feminist, membership organization committed to achieving gender equality, sustainable development, and women’s human rights.
Special Topics & Interdisciplinary Sites
- The Hunger Site
An independent site with information on world hunger and strategies for action.
Organizations & Activism
- National Organization for Women (NOW) Home Page
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- American Association of University Women
- League of Women Voters
- Girls Incorporated
- Women in Community Service
Mission: To reduce the number of young women living in poverty by promoting self-reliance and economic independence.
- Third Wave Foundation
- European Women’s Lobby
- Feminist Press
Publishes classic and new writing to elevates silenced and marginalized voices.
Metasites and Web Resources on Activism
- Institute for Women’s Policy Research: “Resources for Research on Women’s Lives”
- List of Women’s Activist Organizations
- Chicana/Latina Foundation
A website designed to create and facilitate a global network for progressive communication.
Organizations Focused on Specific Issues
- Women’s Sports Foundation
- Feminist for Animal Rights
- Women Watch
UN Information and Resources on Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women.
Women’s Health & Body Issues
- Feminist Women’s Health Center
- National Asian Women’s Health Organization
- National Breast Cancer Coalition
- Healthy Women
- National Breast Cancer Foundation
- National Ovarian Cancer Coalition
- Our Bodies Ourselves
- National Abortion Rights Action League
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
- Women’s Voices for the Earth
- Center for Health and Environmental Justice
- Ecofeminist Visions Emerging | EVE ONLINE
- 9 to 5: National Association of Working Women
- Citizen Action of NY – Women’s Rights at Work
- Coalition of Labor Union Women
Global Feminism & Human Rights
(See also “International/Global Women and Feminism” section below.)
International/Global Women & Feminism
- Center for Women’s Global Leadership (Global Center)
- UNIFEM (United Nations Development Fund for Women)
- Women’s Human Rights Conventions (texts)
University of Minnesota Human Rights Library.
- Women Watch
The UN Internet Gateway on the Advancement and Empowerment of Women.
- Sisterhood is Global Institute
- Women’s Issues — Third World (Mining Company Resource Page)
- UNICEF Website
Scroll to the section on women.
- Charlotte Bunch: “The intolerable status quo: Violence against women and girls”
- Outlawing violence against women: A first step
- Women at top levels of government worldwide by sectors
- WIDNET: Women in Development Network
Particularly useful for Comparative Statistics on Women in Different Regions of the World.
- Female Genital Mutilation Education and Networking Project
- RAINBO: Research, Action and Information Network for the Bodily Integrity of Women
Focuses principally on the issue of female genital mutilation.
- Web Resources on Women, Gender and Sexuality in Latin America
- SAWNET: South Asian Women’s Network
- Donor Direct Action
Links frontline women’s rights partners around the world to money, visibility, & popular support – minimum bureaucracy, maximum impact.
- International Center for Research on Women
- Africa – Gender and Sexuality
Columbia University Library Page of Print and Web Resources on African Gender and Sexuality
Women of Color
- Women of Color Web Sites
List of links to women of color websites from Joan Korenman’s UMBC Women’s Studies Site.
- National Idigenious Women’s Resource Center
- Voice of the Shuttle: Minority Studies Page
List of links to other pages mainly related to the Humanities.
- Chicana Studies Web Page
Bibliographies in a variety of fields, organizations, resources, lists of links.
- Digital Schomburg African-American Women of the Nineteenth Century
A collection of digital texts maintained by the New York Public Library.
- Minnesota Indian Women’s Resource Center
Also includes a list of links on Native American Women.
- Voices from the Gaps
Comprehensive University of Minnesota site focused on U.S. women writers of color. Biography, bibliography and links.
- Bibliography on the Intersections of Gender, Race and Class
Lesbian/Gay, Queer Studies & Resources
- Lesbian Herstory Archives
Includes a history of the Lesbian Herstory Archives (New York), how it works, and what it holds, with a sampling of material from the permanent collection and links to other lesbian resources.
List of links to lesbian resources.
- The Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives
- LGBT Literature and Art Journals
- The Lesbian Story Project
- The Lesbian History Project
- New York Public Library Gay and Lesbian Studies: A Resource Guide
- People with a History: An Online Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans* History
- Queer Resources Directory
- The National Latina/o Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender
- Queers for Reconciliation
An Australian Site dedicated to exploring the connections between queer, black and aboriginal identities.
A national organization that works for full LGBTQ equality and inclusion in Jewish life.
Fresh, energizing voice for lesbian, bisexual and queer women, one that takes the reader seriously and encourages intelligent discourse, one that entertains with funny, uncensored and brutally honest conversation
- Being Latinx & LGBTQ
Libraries & Major Collections on Women
- The Archives for Research on Women and Gender at the University of Texas, San Antonio
- Five College Archives Digital Access Project
A digital archive of women’s history materials including those in the Sophia Smith collection.
- University of Wisconsin Women’s Studies Librarian
- The Sophia Smith Collection at Smith College
- Schlesinger Library at Radcliffe College
- Jewish Women’s Archives
- Documents from the Women’s Liberation Movement
An On-line Archival Collection, Special Collections Library, Duke University.
- The Women’s Library (London): The National Library of Women
- Glasgow Women’s Library On-Line
- The Jessie Street National Women’s Library (Sydney, Australia)