Eva Woolard C’26

Black History Month signifies a time of remembrance, reflection, and acknowledgement of the impact that Black people have had, and will continue to have, on our society. As a Black woman, I specifically seek to learn about important Black women in history and what traits I can inherit from them. From a diverse range of figures such as Angela Davis, Aretha Franklin, and Maya Angelou, I have learned what it means to be composed, articulate, and resolute. Not only this, but I have also learned what it means to reclaim Black femininity and to honor and adore my features; my hair, my nose, my body, even when faced with those who think otherwise. In my opinion, Black women are the backbone of American society, and have endured the worst of the worst throughout history, only to consistently come out on top. To be a Black woman is to be a figure of hope, success, and prosperity. Because of the vast and varying contributions Black people have made to this country, it is important for everyone to be taught Black history. It is even more important for Black Americans to learn Black history in order to see how extraordinary our people truly are. 

DREW VOICES: BLACK HISTORY MONTH