Drew University’s undergraduate anthropology club is named after one of the great founding fathers of the field of anthropology, Franz Boas.
As students of Anthropology of the Drew University Community, we believe that an essential component of a liberal arts education is the encouraged exploration of other cultures guided by the anthropological perspective. This organization is dedicated to fostering a better understanding of anthropological theories, promoting the appreciation of global perspectives, breaking down social stereotypes, and ultimately raising cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity. This organization will also strive to serve Drew University by hosting educational and cultural programs that are open to the entire community.
The purpose of !BOAS is to provide an opportunity for anthropology students, and other students, at Drew University to learn, participate, and engage in events, discussions and programs relating to worldwide anthropological themes. Due to the many misconceptions of what anthropology encompasses, !BOAS attempts to break down preconceived notions about the discipline and ultimately help to educate the Drew community.
The name ‘Lambda Alpha’ is derived from the Greek words ‘Logos Anthropou,’ meaning “the study of man.”
WHAT IS LAMBDA ALPHA?
Lambda Alpha is the national honors organization for anthropology. Obtaining Lambda Alpha membership is a testament to your passion in anthropology and recognizing your achievements here at Drew.
In order to apply for membership:
- Must be a junior or senior to apply
- Must complete thirty hours to apply for membership
- Must have a 3.2 GPA in the Anthropology major (2.5 GPA overall)
- If you’re a board member of !BOAS then you must maintain a 3.0 GPA in the Anthropology major (minors cannot apply)
How to obtain hours:
- Attend !BOAS events or co-sponsored !BOAS events (some are listed below!)
- Volunteering to help set up for events or co-sponsored events
- Participate in these events do not just show up
- Attend general meetings
- Make sure to sign in and out when you attend an event or general meeting
- If you forget to sign out occasionally email the Lambda Alpha coordinator ASAP or your attendance will not be logged.
- $25 membership fee (one time fee)
- $25 for stole (one time)
- $10 for pin (one time)
Past & Current Events
- DNA Kits
- Coffee and Culture
- Around the World Challenge
- Halloween Ghost Tour
- National Anthropology Day Movie Night
- Atlatl Event
- Dia de Los Muertos
- Culture of Valentine’s Day
STUDENT – FACULTY EVENTS
- Anthropology Ethics Film & Discussion
- Career Panel
- Anthropology Open House
- Multicultural Semester Dinner
- Museum of Natural History
- Ellis Island
- Statue of Liberty
- Renaissance Fair